Land Rover

Por Marjha Paulino

We started without an arriving hour,
to search your last memories
in the streets of Veracruz.

My father's face told everything:
false encouragement,
tight teeth.

My mother's face:
confusion.

Describing the hands
still warm by the breathing machine,
and be closer in that moment
than in all the life that is left.

Blessed those
who remember what it is forgotten
and more blessed those
which forget the remembered.

Do not misunderstand me
there was everything,
false talks,
eyes that judge without saying anything,
judgments without sense,
down in the hospital.

My grandmother's death
turns to me
when I go out to the highway.

I see myself in the journey
which starts with her trembling hands
that clings to my back
when going down the stairs.


Land Rover

Partimos sin hora de llegada
a buscar tus últimos recuerdos
en las calles de Veracruz.

La cara de mi padre lo dijo todo:
ánimos falsos,
dientes apretados.

La cara de mi madre:
confusión.

Describir las manos
aún calientes por el respirador,
y estar más cerca en ese momento
que en toda la vida que queda.

No me malinterpretes,
hubo de todo,
charlas de falsedad,
ojos que juzgan sin decir nada,
juicios sin sentido
bajo un hospital.

Dichosos aquellos
que recuerdan lo olvidado
y más dichosos aún
los que olvidan lo recordado.

La muerte de mi abuela
se vuelve hacia mí
cuando salgo en carretera.

Me veo en el viaje
que comienza con sus manos temblorosas
que se aferran a mi espalda
al bajar las escaleras.


Image: Rohan Eason

Comentarios

Entradas populares