Two poems from Hábitos de Humano by Juan Manuel Ramírez Palomares




*
I was not who I am now
nor I will ever be the one who lives in me.
I stared at the rain one day
and I saw how it was leaving for a trip
the plumb of my dreams
I tore it off my homeland's flag
I demolished with curses the busts of their heroes
Before the mirror
amazed
I saw nights of love with no mercy
I dreamt about beasts with sweet jaws
I have touched the fine skin of a sandy woman
now forgotten, by the way
I think when I sleep, about my tuberose flower and my cold
but they will not be mine...
not of this one who is me now.


**
Will I be in this returned life, new?
with the same clothes with the same voice
behind the same window challenging the fire
under the same shadow multiplying myself
Why should we wait from the days another glass?
better winds
without having gone anywhere
anchored to the bottom of my mirror
stealing the echo
where to tip the scales?
where to push the dagger?
Who to blame of the memory
Who will put the forehead on the table
With which hands
the verse will be written
with which?


*English translation by Marjha Paulino



*
No fui el que soy
ni seré el que me habita
Un día miré en la lluvia
cómo partía a un viaje
el plomo de mis sueños
arranqué la bandera de mi patria
demolí con maldiciones los bustos de sus héroes
Ante el espejo
asombrado
vi noches de amor inclemente
Soñé fieras de dulces fauces
He acariciado la piel fina de una mujer de arena
olvidada ya por cierto
Pienso al dormir con mi nardo y mi frío
pero no serán míos…
no de éste que soy.


**
Seré en este volver la vida ¿nuevo?
con la misma ropa con la misma voz
tras la misma ventana retando al fuego
bajo la misma sombra multiplicándome
Por qué esperar de los días otro cristal
mejores vientos
sin haber partido a ninguna parte
anclado en el fondo de mi espejo
robándome el eco
¿para dónde inclinar la balanza?
¿para dónde empujar la daga?
¿a quién culpar de la memoria?
¿a quién poner frente a la mesa?
con cuáles manos
escribir el verso
con cuáles?



Image: Yelena Bryksenkova


Juan Manuel Ramírez Palomares (1957) is a Mexican poet. He studied Modern Literature and he has been a cultural promoter and coordinator of several poetry workshops.

Comentarios

Entradas populares